Hey guys first let me say you guys rock and thank you for your support we are growing and it is so great hearing all the positive feedback. Second, I want to say that I struggle with sleep!!
Now the fact that my job as a Firefighter/Paramedic may be to blame for a big chunk of that with its crazy hours and medical calls at all times of the night, but I struggled with it way before then.
My biggest problem was shutting my mind down when my head hit the pillow. We all have had those nights where it just doesn't feel like we can shut it off. Well here is a few facts about sleep and also some ways to better them.
1) Weight gain is directly linked to poor sleep and that your hormone production is slowed drastically causing weight gain and lack of energy and motivation. Sleep deprivation is also linked to eating more calories and higher sugar craving tendencies which definitely doesn't help.
2) Your brain activity is drastically hindered while sleep deprived. I know this may seem like common sense but your nerve and motor function are slowed by up to half of its normal ability causing a major delay in your brain telling your body what to do and also your brain sifting through tons of information every second to make the right decision.
3) A recent review showed that people who don't get enough sleep have a 15% higher chance of heart disease and stroke than someone who gets the right amount of sleep. It also is linked to a drastically slower metabolism which can cause type 2 diabetes. Scary stuff!
So what can we do to better our sleep and what is the right amount of sleep for me?
1) Turn off the computer and phone an hour before bed.
2) Don't eat or drink an hour before bed.
3) Alcohol is not your friend, even though it may help with relaxation alcohol is directly linked to inhibiting REM sleep.
4) USE OUR SLEEP FORMULA with melatonin and Valerian.
Haha but really it is packed with vitamins and minerals that will help with relaxation, falling and staying asleep, and waking up refreshed and ready to kick ass!!
How many hours should you sleep? It varies based on your age and the demand you put on your body but healthy adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep whereas babies, young children and teens may need up to 13 to 14 hours to keep up with the growth and hormonal jump their body is taking!
I hope this helps you guys out and you go and dominate your sleep so that you are ready to dominate the day!!